Friday, March 23, 2012

Smith & Ratliff's Butternut Squash & Arugula Pizza

{Butternut squash and arugula pizza c/o Smith & Ratliff}

You know those days: you've had a hard day at work and you just want to come home, crack open a Guinness and cook something delicious with friends that you've been dying to cook for weeks? That was me today. I finally tackled the recipe that my roommate and I had been yearning to make: butternut squash and arugula pizza.

Now it's common knowledge that I am an avid blogger and even more-so a fan of reading other interesting fashion, food, and lifestyle blogs. I love reading Smith & Ratliff - and ever since I saw this recipe, I knew that I had to try it. We used whole wheat pizza dough (and we actually made a dairy-free version along with the classic version).

I'm not going to lie - the aroma of the onions and the thyme spread through my apartment within minutes of putting the pizzas in the oven. The cheese was oozing, the butternut squash was caramelizing, and the dough was becoming crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. 

Here are my tips: it really helps to follow their recipe and heat the pan ahead of time. If you're nervous about burning the crust, lower the temperature and cook it for longer (it takes a lot to burn the pizza crust). You can also get your pizza dough at Trader Joe's for about $2 (it saves you time - and it tastes amazing).

This pizza was a fan favorite - it's a great main dish, and it's something that I will make to serve as appetizers at my next dinner party. A-maze-ing. (Lucky for you, I documented the entire delicious process)

{Orange you glad you had cheddar cheese and butternut squash?}

{Cheese, dough, squash}

{Toss onions, thyme, salt, pepper, squash with olive oil}

{Spread veggies on the dough, sprinkle on cheese liberally, throw it in the hot hot oven}

{Chop up fresh arugula}

{Sprinkle on top for a peppery freshness}

{Oozy-goozy deliciousity}
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it! We get our pizza dough from Trader Joe's too—it's the best and so inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you just tried this with prosciutto, but this recipe here is just screaming for a little crumbled bacon, dreaming of it now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...