Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crustless Kale, Onion and Cheddar Quiche

{Kale, onion and cheddar quiche}

Lately I have been playing the "what can I cook before it goes rotten" game for dinner. I recently read an article that said that Americans waste $2000 worth of food per year (that I could be spending on shoes or concerts), so I have really kicked my improv cooking skills into high gear and throwing together what sounds edible that night. Tonight: an abundance of kale plus an abundance of eggs meant that I was winging a quiche. Yes, winging a quiche... from scratch... no recipe. What could go wrong?

Now this whole "no recipe" thing may make you think that I had a completely unsuccessful attempt at my first quiche. However, this really did turn out fantastically and really added roughage, fiber and protein (hey, nutrition!) to my day (especially after my weekend California burrito).

{The roughage}

Ingredients:
1 medium brown onion sliced
4 cups chopped kale
5 garlic cloves roughly chopped
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

{Sauteed roughage}

Heat up a medium sized skillet with some olive oil or butter. Throw in your sliced onions and garlic and cook on medium heat until the onions become tender. Toss in your kale, cook for about 5 minutes, and add all of your seasonings.

{Mix eggs, cheese, and veggies in a large bowl}

Take your veggies off of the heat and get your eggs, milk and cheese. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and add the milk. Fold in the cheese. Add your cooled mixture of vegetables and toss until the veggies are coated evenly.

{Pre-cooking}

Pour the mixture into a well greased cooking dish (mine was porcelain) and throw into the oven for 25-35 minutes. You want to cook your quiche until the middle doesn't jiggle anymore when you shake it in the oven (gently of course). Take it from me (who learned the hard way) that you want to take out your quiche when it's slightly under done because the eggs continue cooking while the quiche is cooling. For me, I had to take it out of the oven a few times before it was cooked all the way through.

{Enjoy piled up on a plate, or reheated the next day for lunch}

See, isn't improvising in the kitchen fun? And no crust means no carbs, and no carbs means less guilt (less guilt that we can make up for with more cheese please!).
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Looks yum! I've got a huge bundle of kale in the fridge as we speak - this looks like a great way to use it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...