Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rage Against the Cliché

{Osa Johnson rides a zebra}

I don't crave chocolate.

I prefer whiskey or scotch to any other alcoholic beverage.

I'd rather have a steak than a slab of tofu.

I'd rather squeeze a lemon in my eye than watch an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

One of my favorite books is Ender's Game.

I actually like museums.

Now you're probably thinking: did Amy write this, or a boy (probably her boyfriend or cousin) hijack this blog? Never fear, it is I.

Have you noticed that in the minds of many twenty something women living in Los Angeles, there are these kinds social stereotypes that we feel that we have to fulfill, as much as we don't want to admit them? I seldom choose sweet over salty and hate the conventional running on a treadmill for hours on end. Blasphemy! This kind of rebellious behavior may as well revoke "girl card", right?

Is this because my whole life I feel as though I have been fighting the dumb-blonde-ditz stereotype, like I have something to prove to the non-believers (shun the non-believers... shun!)? Given, I've made it easy for people to stereotype me: I continue to get highlights, I was a cheerleader for nine years, and I joined a sorority... but why fight it? Why not embrace the yin and the yang? Who cares?

I was recently in a deep conversation with one of my dad's good friends (a "cheer dad" nonetheless), and he was giving me career and life advice. When bringing up my concern with the need to avoid this cliché'd female stereotype he responded with confusion: "Why avoid it? Embrace it! Embrace who you are."

Semi-cheesy, but 100% correct. It kind of got me thinking in one of those philosophical, deep, introspective ways... I'm allowed to like playing the Sims and browsing extremely girly fashion blogs? This fear that everyone thinks I'm a dumb blonde due to my appearance is all in my head? I felt like I imagine an even neurotic Woody Allen feels. But, at least I get it now... I think. Do you get it now?

{"Annie Hall"}

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yes! The yin and the yang are what make life interesting. And all of your quirks are what make YOU interesting. I agree with your dad's friend - why not embrace it? :) Also, for the record, I'd rather squeeze a lemon in my eye than watch Grey's Anatomy, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...