Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In the Dollhouse: A Twisted Barbie & Ken


This series of 10 photographs shows your not-so-average "perspective" of Barbie and Ken from Vancouver-based photographer Dina Goldstein. The series "In the Dollhouse" looks at their not-so-perfect lives.
B is a super doll, the most successful doll in the world. Her partner K is grappling with his sexuality and finds himself in a loveless marriage. He struggles with his position in the household and faces his lack of authenticity. (source)
The series starts out as a clever parody and then takes a dark turn. It adds such a dreary and unexpected twist to the picture-perfect plastic pair.

I personally enjoy it since playing with Barbies was my favorite game as a child (and I still resent the fact that my Barbie Dream House was prematurely sold in a garage sale). I always knew that Ken had a wandering eye; I just didn't know it pointed in that direction. It doesn't mean that I don't to borrow his pink heels though...

Only one thing concerns me: who's going to take care of their dolphins, seals, tigers, dogs and horses when they split?










Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Wow, these photos are incredible - the details are amazing, and I love the retouching that was done (really makes them look like plastic Barbie & Ken dolls). I never imagined as a child that Ken felt that way either, but I think as I grew older his preferences became more apparent to me. ;p I love this photo series, thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny! I love it

    xo,
    Courtney (your newest follower)
    http://girlavantgarde.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's super clever. Sad, but funny.

    Catherine
    FEST (food, style & travel)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. Mind blown.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...