Friday, June 1, 2012

Avoiding June Gloom

{A banjo playin' pup}

It's a new month, a new season, and a fresh start. It's always great to make goals for yourself, even if they are insignificant in the long run. In Southern California, we are accustomed to June Gloom - the fog that tends to hang around much longer than it should, shielding our normally sunny weather (and our tans). Here are some of my goals that I am working on for the up-and-coming season in order to stay productive avoid getting myself down by the June Gloom.
  1. Take a walk every day after work - even if I can't make it to the gym, it's always a great mental break to take a walk and get some movement. I also live in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles, so I can live vicariously through all of the other dog owners.
  2. Start making my bed - I read in an article that said starting the day with something productive can set you on the right track for the rest of the day.
  3. Eat more flax seeds - I read another article that said that flax seeds contain healthy fats that improve the workings of your pleasure-seeking cerebral cortex. Sign me up.
  4. Learn to photograph better - I am definitely a fledgling photographer who has hardly mastered taking photos at night. I don't want a fancy camera, but I do want to learn to photograph more efficiently with my little Canon Powershot. (Confession: this is mostly because I want to learn to photograph food better...)
  5. Throw a mustache party - today one of my many twitter conversations was centralized about mustaches. It makes me really want to throw a mustache party like this and complete with these.
  6. Take a hike - Los Angeles has so many beautiful hiking spots - why have I only been to the one in Temescal Canyon?
  7. Eat more fish - in another article that I read, it said that people who consume Omega 3s found in fish, avocados, and olive oil age more slowly... Just watch out for that radioactive tuna.
  8. Unplug - it's extremely liberating to turn off the phone and unplug sometimes. I've turned off g-chat on my phone, but I think some nights it may be a good idea to leave the phone in the bedroom alongside the laptop.
  9. Learn to golf and play tennis - Grandma does it, Dad does it, why can't I do it? Plus I heard that golf can get you the corner office.
  10. Try new things - and by new things I mostly mean new restaurants.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, good old June Gloom! We're heading to your coast this week; hoping it holds off and we get some sunshine while we're there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny - I just wrote a post for the Equals Record (going up tomorrow, I think) about setting mid-year goals! What a coincidence! Anyway, I love your list. Taking a daily post-work walk is such a great idea. As is throwing a mustache party. PLEASE post pictures of that when and if it occurs! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...