Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Is it Better to Settle?


Define "better." While reading my new favorite daily read (Eric Barker's "Barking up the wrong tree"), I came across this article that poses the question: is it better to settle?

I know, I know. I've been extremely philosophical today in regards to life - but bear with me. This article definitely rang some bells.

As a 90% maximizer/ 10% satisficer, I am constantly trying to find the best - which may be the reason why anxiety levels are semi-high.
Specifically, I argue maximizers bear more instances of positive and negative outcomes than satisficers, and that in spite of their positive outcomes—yet because of their negative outcomes—maximizers are less happy than satisficers.
But does the good outweigh the bad?
...it was found that maximizing was simultaneously related to experiencing more positive and more negative outcomes, and that negative outcomes predicted happiness to a greater degree than positive outcomes. These findings suggest an irony of maximizing: It produces both positive and negative outcomes, contributing to literature explaining why maximizers are less happy than satisficers, and ultimately whether happiness is a matter of choice. 
I do not think that it's better to settle, but that is my personal choice. I'd rather have the extreme highs and lows than a consistent middle ground. You can't get big rewards if you don't take big risks.

Read the original article...
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. My point, exactly! I totally believe that 'medium is for mediums'. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to be judgemental, but if you stay where you are and don't step out of your comfort zone, then... that's all you're gonna have. Risks are to be taken, tops are to be conquered and bottoms to be reached. It's all in that life-game, but no, settling for me, no, no, no! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Reminds me of that quote - "in the end, you'll regret more what you DIDN'T do." Or something like that :) Never settle! (Also, on a completely different note - loving your new design!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...