Thursday, July 5, 2012

Blackberry, Feta and Arugula Summer Salad

{Blackberries, feta and arugula}

I was recently inspired... by a trip to the market.

Whilst innocently perusing the produce section of my local market, I stumbled upon the holy grail of fruit: blackberries and blueberries on sale for $1.50 a carton. Naturally I grabbed two cartons of blueberries and two cartons of blackberries, intending to use them as an afternoon snack.

However, one of my favorite favorite things to do during the summer is to incorporate fruit into salads. I have had a block of feta cheese hanging out in my fridge for far too long to continue being ignored - I had originally wanted to pair it with beets, and recently bought a head of peppery arugula which to be honest, always goes bad before I can use all of it. Alors, I was inspired.


This salad is the perfect balance of sweet from the berries, salty from the feta, peppery from the arugula, and tangy from the dressing. It's something that you definitely need to try because the subtle sweetness of the blackberries is almost highlighted by all of the other ingredients. I was worried that it would get lost, but it doesn't.

Recipe

Ingredients
1/2 carton of blackberries
2 TBSP crumbled feta cheese
2 handfuls of arugula
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.

Toss in a medium sized bowl with the arugula, blackberries and feta. Serve immediately or the greens will wilt.

*You can substitute the blackberries with any other berry and the feta cheese for goat cheese.

{A perfect complement of flavors}

{The perfect bite}

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...