Saturday, February 25, 2012

How To: Valentine’s Day Nails


Everyone loves a cute little DIY manicure to celebrate the holidays. For Valentine's Day I decided to keep it girly and fresh with reds, pinks, and lots of glitter. This take on painting your nails is sexy and trendy (and definitely a head-turner).

Quick Tip: The key for this manicure is to paint multiple thin coats instead of one or two thick coats. That way your nail polish will set more quickly (and it will look more professionally done too).
  1. Add a base coat to your nails to protect them from discoloration and chipping. I prefer Sally Hansen (she's a genius).
  2. Paint all fingers except your ring finger a girly, pouty pink like "Dancing in the Isles" by O.P.I. - it's slightly sheer so I add a few thin coats even before adding the final touches.
  3. Paint your ring finger a sultry red. I picked "Cara Mia Crimson" by O.P.I. because it has a deep red with some gold hues to go perfectly with the gold glitter topcoat that I planned on adding. I painted two thin coats.
  4. Now for the sparkle... Take a glitter top coat (I used "As Gold as It Gets" by Essie) and add one to two coats. It depends on how you want your nails to look: for the pink that I used, the glitter didn't show up well enough with one coat, so I did two coats.
  5. Finish with a top coat, and marvel at your unique manicure.
Quick Tip: Wash your hands with ice cold water after your DIY manicure. It will make the polish set.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...