Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fresh Start, Fresh Resolutions

{Happy New Year from the Hermosa Beach Pier}

2012 was a whirlwind... And it's been awhile.

In terms of huge milestones this year, I got a brand new job in the beauty industry with incredible freedom managing social media channels, bought my first car and saw my closest friends go through breakups, tough times, job relocation and engagements.

I also switched from coffee to iced tea, fell in love with spin class, spent way too much money on candles and completely revitalized my skincare and beauty routine.

In terms of 2013, I've made a resolution to make my New Year's resolutions more about additions rather than subtractions... going with a theme of positivity and personal growth rather than self-loathing and unrealistic goals.

Read at least one book per month. My boyfriend constantly makes fun of me that I don't read enough. On top of that, reading is a great way to wind down before bed and relax the mind (avoiding those late-night panic attacks that happen when the mind is too hyperactive). Up on the list: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins.

Re-learn French. I was a French major in college, lived abroad for 6 months taking university classes in French, yet I feel like the ability to think in that language has left me. Perhaps reading in French, listening to French radio, watching movies in French... je ne sais quoi...

Indulge in creative activities. Take that however you please: this year it's time to paint, blog, ride my bike through the meadow; whatever I feel like doing to help me relax and get out of my own head.

Travel more. At dinner on New Year's Eve, my boyfriend and I were trying to think of the places we traveled last year: the list included Orange County and Palm Springs... slightly pathetic. This year it's time to take advantage my freedoms and opportunities to travel. We've actually already booked a trip to Seattle the second weekend in January, and on deck I plan to visit at least Washington DC and Northern California this year and maybe even London.

Spend more time with friends and family. Towards the end of 2012, I caught myself allowing work to consume all and being less social than usual. It's time to enjoy time with friends and family because as 2012 showed: you never know when they'll move away.

What are your New Year's resolutions? Are you welcoming the clean break and opportunity to start fresh or resting on your laurels?

{Resolutions: relatively set in stone}
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...